Monday, April 17, 2006

Homecoming

My wife and daughter came home late Friday evening, and were pleasantly surprised to find new interior doors installed upstairs, as well as new carpet downstairs. Everything turned out beautifully, although not without some bumps along the way. When I was looking for doors, I knew that time was going to be a factor, so I was looking for "prefinished" doors. After looking and finding ones that were either junk, or too cost prohibitive, I came across some on display at Menards. They had three different finish choices on display, one of them being exactly what I was looking for, which was a "Natural Oak". The price was fantastic too, less than I had been what I had figured I would end up paying. After verifying with one of employees that this was exactly how the would come, I went to the service desk, ordered my doors, and arranged delivery. Imagine my surprise when they were delivered, and they were all unfinished. Not only that, but half of them were either the wrong size, or were swinging the wrong way. So, I borrowed my neighbors truck, loaded them up, and trekked back to Menards, receipt in hand. After a lengthy return process, which did not include my delivery charge, I marched up to the door display. There, I confronted the salesperson about the doors in question. He "explained" to me that the doors in the display did not come finished, and that they were finished in the display only so people would know what they look like finished. He could not/would not explain why there was nothing in the display stating that they were unfinished, or why the other employee would assure me that they were, in fact, prefinished. He also did not seem too impressed when I told him I would never return to that, or any other Menards. I have never really liked Menards, and that pretty much sealed the deal. So, it was off to the Home Depot, my third most favorite store, (after Best Buy and Target), where I purchased some unfinished, six panel oak doors. The problem now was, it is almost impossible to finish the doors prior to installation, and, with six dogs and cats, very difficult to do it after installation. But, that's what I had to do. The installation was a breeze, courtesy of the new finishing nailer I bought for the job. To stain and finish them, I ended up sealing off that section of the house with plastic for a day. That kept most of the fumes out of the air that the animals were in. Doors in, stained and finished. The moulding was done in about four hours, again, thanks to the new nailer. Now, for the carpet downstairs, I found something I think is fantastic. Our basement rarely takes on water, but it has happened a couple times, so we have never committed to putting in anything nice down there. Then I found these "carpet squares', 2'x2' pieces of carpet that are made with a slightly sticky back, that you just lay down on a clean floor. They lay well enough that they will not come up while vacuuming or walking. When layed correctly, seams are barely noticeable. Best of all, if they get wet or damaged, I can pull up the affected pieces only, and replace them or dry them, whatever the case may be. I'm sold on them. Now, I would not use them in the rest of my house, but, for this use they are tailor made. So, that was my last week, along with a whole bunch of cleaning and organizing. Now, I can look forward to start working outside. Spring is here! Enjoy!

2 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are my hero (in second place - sorry I can't replace my handy dandy husband who can fix most anything!!). What a wonderful gift for you wife to go away and come back each time to an improvement to her home.

I, perhaps, would never want to change houses if I did not have to see the same old things needing done, and then be part of the fix. That is the disadvantage of home education. I see all the trouble areas EVERY single day, all day.

Okay, done complaining. We are in the middle of having the house painted, deck repaired and minor un-remodel in the basement. I'm just a bit overwhelmed.

Job well done Voice!!!
BTW: I think I am probably an orange egg floating in some coffee. Prayer keeps me from sinking to the bottom all together some days! ;)

 
At 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home