Monday, August 28, 2006

Vacations...ahhh....

Bummer....vacations over. Why is it that time off from work goes so fast? We had a wonderful vacation though. We strarted off with a trip to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where we attended the NASCAR Busch series and Nextel Cup series races. These were our first NASCAR races in person, and we had a blast. It's completely different watching in person. It is also very, very LOUD! We were okay though, as we brought along earplugs. We had a little rain Saturday, but then everything cleared up, and we had a gorgeous rest of the weekend. This most certainly will not be my last race that I attend. After the races, we made a sidetrip to Traverse City, Michigan, to see our friend Deanna. She lives in Michagan's wine country. Yup, that's right, they make wine in Michigan. And not only that, it is actually very good wine. Apparently the two peninsalas in that area are perfect for growing grapes. Lake Michigan keeps the climate from getting too cold, or more importantly, too hot, for growing grapes. We went to two vineyards and sampled the wines they had to offer; Chateau Chantel, and Black Star Farms. Both had wines that were simply outstanding. We ended up bring some wine home with us, as well as some incredible cheese from Black Star. Deanna also took us to an ice cream shop, where, as you are eating your ice cream, you can stand out on a deck and thank the very cows that it came from. Moomers, as it is called, was started by a very small dairy farm. They make some 90 different flavors of ice cream, although not all at the same time. The ice cream is so good, there was a line out the door of the place, on a weeknight. You can just imagine weekends. So, after far too short of time with Deanna, it was time to head home. In an effort to reduce actual driving time, we used the car ferry service across Lake Michigan. Going there, we had boarded at 11:30 at night, and basiclly slept the 4 hours it took to get across. Coming back, it was daylight, so we were able to enjoy the views of the lake as we crossed. There were opportunities to sit in the movie lounge, play bingo, eat at the buffet, or just lay in the sun. I will say, it sure beat driving, especially having to drive through Chicago. So, that was our vacation. I only wish it could have been longer. I would have loved to have time to drive to Kentucky, and visit my good friend, Josh, who is going through seminary. I had also hoped to visit my brother and his family in Cleveland. Sorry guys, maybe next year. For now, it's back to the grind called work. God bless you all, that is all of you who still visit. I will try to catch up, again, with everyones blogs. Again, may God bless each of you richly! Ken ( PS-I added links for the wineries and Moomers in my siderbar, if your interested. )

4 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Shalee said...

You're back! Ken, you have been missed. What a pleasant surprise to see you back in blogland. I was just saying to myself this morning that I haven't seen you around and I hoped that all was well with you.

Vacation sounds divine, especially with the ice cream and the wine and great friends.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger kpjara said...

You HAVE been missed! It's great you're back...even if it is too work. I try to remember if life were ONLY vacation, we'd probably not enjoy it as much!

So glad you're home and looking forward to meat for which you are famous!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

So glad you're back, Ken. I was in Cedar Springs, Michigan for my vacation this year and Traverse City isn't far from there. Next time I go to see my friend and her mom, I'm going to Moomers!

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, my husband would love to be at the NASCAR races. I think it might be more interesting if I were there in person. Watching races on t.v. is missing something!!! If I ever got bored of the cars I could watch the people.

Glad you had a great vacation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home