Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Conviction

I come before you as a convicted man. Though Jesus tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves....well, let me tell you about my neighbors. Of the seven immediate neighbors of ours, we know three of them well, incidently, the three that have lived there the longest. We are somewhat close with two others, and another just moved in. We have met them once, and hope to get to know them better. Of the two remaining neighbors, one we choose not to assocaite with, for the simple reason that they are very, very strange. Paranoid, tape black paper over the windows strange. In a way, they choose not to know any of us. But it is the last neighbor I want to confess about. They live behind us, and though we are only seperated by a 4' chain link fence, we never really have talked to them. I cannot even tell you their names. They have lived there for five years. Their kids would play in the backyard, and my daughter tried to strike up a friendship with their daughter, who is two years younger, without success. The only time I saw the parents out, was when one of them would mow the lawn, which was not very often, once a month, at best. And the way our streets are laid out, it is a six block trek to go around the block and knock on their front door. So, we chose to live and let live. The good thing is that I never gossiped about them (or any of my neighbors, for that matter) with the other neighbors, even though the deteriorating condition of the house and yard invited it. I had noticed last summer, and again this year, that the wife was the only one to mow the lawn now. Last year, I had simply chalked it up to laziness on his part, as he was a very ample kind of guy. This year, I wondered if there had been a divorce, or something. So, I ignored my self imposed rules about snooping, and I asked the neighbors that live next to them; "Did they get divorced, or something?" The answer I got floored me. "No, he died" she told me. I asked when, and she told me that he died two years ago. TWO YEARS AGO. How does someone live next door to someone and not know that they lost a spouse, and a dad? How can I love my neighbor, when I don't even truly know the ones closest to me? And how do I approach this woman with offers to help out with her home and yard, two years after the fact? I am resolving to get to know my neighbors better, even the ones who are sure the government is spying on them. My understanding is that most people these days make no effort to get to know their neighbors. But it should not be like that. How are we to show our love of Christ to others, when we don't even bother to try to meet them. This is the question that convicts me today. My prayer is that we will all reach out to our neighbors, even the ones that are difficult to meet. That we can show God's love through our kindness and compassion. God bless you all, Ken

8 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger kpjara said...

I struggle with this so much! On one side I had a neighbor that had a baby...who is now over 1 y.o. and I didn't even know til about 2 months ago...and on the other side, since a fence dispute, we don't speak! I hate that I can't bring the Christlikeness to my TRUE neighbors. I long for neighborhood but struggle so much in reaching out to neighbors!

Good post and alot to think about.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Shalee said...

I'm in the same boat. I have all these people around me but no one will look anyone else in the eyes. I hate that! If it's going to change, it has to be with me first.

Don't let the fear of what to say to your neighbor keep you from doing good. Just be honest about not knowing, apologize for not being helpful (if you feel you must) and make an offer to do something for her at that time - something that she might not be able to do. Or go one step further and invite her and the family over for the evening or if she won't accept that, send a gift card to a grocery store to her anonymously or from you, or just look for areas of comfort you and your family can provide. I think the kind gesture will speak volumes to let her know that you care.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

I've lived in my current home since I was 8 years old so yeah, I know most of my neighbors. But...I don't "know" my neighbors. I talk to some that have been around as long as I have and I occasionally make the yearly picnic, but its hard watching friends come and go when a better house opens up for them and so I've learned to watch how much I care.

Now how sad is that?

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Susannah said...

We were invited to a neighborhood BBQ on Memorial Day. We had other things going on, so we didn't show. Instead of just letting it slip by, I think I'll take over a dessert as a friendly gesture. Good word.

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Ken, you have touched the heart of a world that is too busy, too easily moving up or out... When we get busy, it is often people that we chose to set aside.

Over the past year I have gotten to know those in my neighbor hood either for the first time, or a little better at least. It is a move in the right direction, but still not enough really. I would have no clue if one of them was in need 99% of the time. Some neighbors choose to remain anonymous but most just don't take the time to reach out or open up. I am guilty of the same thing.

Thanks for making me think more about this.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

 
At 1:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home