Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Sacrifice, Part 2

I wrote my post on sacrifice with the hope that it would cause those who read it to pause, and ask themselves "What would I do?" I first began thinking more along these lines back when I first heard the Micheal W. Smith song, "This is your Time", which was written as a tribute to Cassie Bernall. For those of you unfamiliar with her, she was one of the victims at Columbine High School. According to witnesses, when the gunmen approached her, they asked if she believed in God. Cassie, in a strong, confident voice, answered "yes", and they shot her. I remember thinking to myself how brave she was, and about what it really means to be a Christian, especially outside our country. Many places in the world, to be Christian is to invite persecution. Here we are free to worship without fear. But do we? Fear, that is the key word. Fear is a tool of Satan, a tool he uses in all of us, one that keeps us from becoming all we can. And yes, it is present even in us who are members of the body of Christ. I've heard it when talking about upcoming mission trips to Guatemala. I've heard it when talking about an inner city church my church was involved with. I've heard it when we talked about a ministry to serve the homeless. You've heard the words; " I/my kids can't do that. It's too dangerous..." But as Christians, we are not promised that it will safe. In fact, we are told the opposite. Jesus declared: "All men will hate you because of me." Luke21:17 Yet, we still take the easy, safe path, the path with little risk, and little gain for God's kingdom. And I am just as guilty of falling into that trap as anyone. It is very easy to do, especially when you have a family. And yet, are we not denying Christ when we let fear make our decisions? As Christians, we vow to put or faith and our lives into Christ's hands. Yet, if we let fear guide us, are we not, in fact, giving the control to Satan? This, I believe, is something that Christians, individually and corporately, need to learn to recognize, and to overcome. It will be only when we do that we will really be able to preach the message of Salvation to the whole world. If we are to make people believe in the very real power of our God, we cannot be living in fear. We must be witnesses of God's power, His love, and His promise. We must live without fear, knowing that He will keep us safe, even if we sacrifice our life when we say "Yes, I believe in God!" My prayer for each of us is that we turn total control, and the power of fear, over to God, and that He may truly use each of us for His glory. Amen

2 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home