Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The message that was...

Okay, so here is the post I meant to do last week, after my opportunity doing the massage in church. Problem was, I wanted to wait until it was posted on our church's website. Our webmeister, however, was on vacation all last week, so it was not updated until this week.
I must admit, I was not totally happy with the way my presentation went. I missed a couple key points, made a couple obvious errors, and also missed a key Scripture reference. Thing was, I had all of these things there in my outline, but with the podium I was using, I could only read the top half of the outline easily. To read the bottom of the outline, I had to almost look straight down, and as such, I kept losing my place. In after thought, maybe I should have just picked up the notes, or perhaps, just gone back, which is something many speakers will do if they miss something.
None of that occured to me as I was speaking, however, and I just kept moving along. Afterwards, even as I mentally reviewed my "obvious" mistakes, I was genuinely suprised by the number of people complimenting me on the message I had done. Perhaps it's true, that we are our own worst critics. Or maybe everyone was just being nice.
In the end, though, all that matters is that the message was given. My only true concern is that the words of that message make some sort of impact on someone. I do not consider myself a preacher. I consider myself a gardener; sometimes I am planting seeds, other times I am watering them. But the credit for any fruits that may come goes only to God. He is the one that causes them to grow. So, if you have the time, and want to listen, go here and click on the July 2nd sermon link. Thanks for being patient, and may God bless each of you. Ken

7 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ken, thanks for the prayers.

Just a side note on your post here... God will use your message for good I'm sure. Glad it was well received.

The thing that speaks the loudest to me regarding your attitude is that you care. You not only reviewed and realized your omissions... but you care that others did not get key points and scriptures that supported your message.

Too many people today (most in my opinion) whether it be the speaker/pastor/preacher or the receiver - care enough to question what is being presented. If it sounds good and reasonable then it passes muster without comparing what has been said to Scripture to make sure it is accurate and within context.

It is refreshing that you want things to be in alignment and that if someone questioned it, I bet you would openly and gladly go over it with them and take it to Scripture for clarification. You seem to have a heart that would admit wrong if it was there and give thanks in all things. :)

I'll come back this afternoon to listen.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger great2beme said...

I will listen later, but I wanted to give you this idea. When I got married a friend said on that day something will go wrong, but remember, Michelle you are the only one who knows exactly what it was to be like to everyone else it will be beautiful with or without that thing. Maybe sermons are the same, you know where it went wrong but it was still beautiful, and blessed the people it was supposed to in the way it was intended. I am sure it will be great.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Shalee said...

Ken,

Someone recently made me ponder on this thought: It may take someone 21 people before they know Christ. If you are number 8, are you less important in God's eyes than number 21? Of course not! What mattered is that you were obedient to God's commands. Knowing you, you prayed mightily that the Holy Spirit would be with you to say what you needed to say and for others to see God's glory. So relax and give the HS credit. Your lesson went exactly as He planned.

(And you are right. We are our own worst critics!)

I'm off to listen to a spokesperson on behalf of God...

Blssings,

Shalee

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Susannah said...

Nice to have you back! I'm sure you'll have other opportunities to hone your preaching skills. Recently someone said to me, "People don't really care how much you know. But they do want to know how much you care." You have a caring heart, and I'm sure that spoke the loudest. Forget your "mistakes." Great job!

 
At 3:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home